Stage 3: The Final Product

     For my final papercraft project, I decided to render and craft a Guardian Stalker from the game The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. This was one of the very first video games I've seriously invested myself in, as I got into gaming as a hobby very late on, only for a couple years now. I was dumbfounded and awestruck at the magnificent piece of art Nintendo had created with this game, from graphics to character design and everything in between. Guardian Stalkers are massive, six-legged, mechanical wonders of surface-world enemies in the game, even more intimidating than even some mini-bosses, which aim a beeping red light at you before firing a powerful blue laser, intent on nothing but the player's destruction. They are fast, require advanced weaponry to defeat, and crowd the more dangerous areas of the maps such as Hyrule Castle. Paired with the lilting crescendos of the suddenly-changing background music, coming across a guardian is a harrowing experience in the game. I wanted to honour Nintendo's design with this enemy and make it the main focus of my papercraft project for this reason. 



    First and foremost, I rendered the body in Rhino so I could use the UnrollSrf tool to create a template from which I could print and recreate out of paper. The body consists of two hexagonal trapezoid shapes that would give me the proper groundwork to give my guardian six legs. 


    Next, I started making some rough drafts out of cheap paper I found so I could work out any mistakes in my template and technique before moving on to the final product. 

    With any complications on this stage sorted out, I could move to breaking out the good stuff to get started on the final product. I did not have any coloured cardstock on hand to work with, so I needed to do my best with the plain white cardstock I had. Frankly, I feel lucky to even have had any cardstock to work with. 
    Finally, it was finished! I have to say I am proud of my craftsmanship and how it ended up turning out.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elephant Progress: part 2 electric boogaloo

Gemelli